Call for Papers
The St. Petersburg Department of Steklov Mathematical Institute solicits papers for the International Interdisciplinary Conference Philosophy, Mathematics, Linguistics: Aspects of Interaction, to be held on November 19-22, 2009. We invite to submit extended abstracts of papers relating to Philosophy Mathematics Linguistics interplay for presentation at the Conference. Each presentation will be allotted 25 min, including 5 min for discussion. Papers from any tradition and from a wide variety of perspectives are welcome, including but in no way limited to the following topics:
- Logic and foundations of mathematics;
- Ontology of mathematics and the nature of mathematical truth;
- The problem of abstract entities in mathematics, philosophy and linguistics;
- The mathematical concept of a function: from the notions of mapping, transformation towards the notion of an algorithm;
- Complexity of finite objects: limited possibilities of man and computer;
- Philosophical and mathematical aspects of informatics;
- Philosophical aspects of the use of natural language in mathematics;
- Mathematical investigation of natural language structures;
- Mathematical models for compositionality in the study of language, mind and brain;
- Formal models of verbal communication.
Since we intend to promote interdisciplinary joint work, we especially welcome studies that cross disciplinary boundaries and consider different aspects of Philosophy, Mathematics, and Linguistics in interaction.
Presentations can be given in Russian or in English, the working languages of Conference.
1st7 October, 2009: Extended abstracts submission deadline. 1520 October, 2009: Notification of acceptance. 1st4 November, 2009: Camera-ready copy due for the proceedings.
- 17-22 November, 2009: Conference and associated Workshop.